Monday, April 23, 2012

40 To 40 Day 35: On The Beatles

Last night at the party Bret had a bunch of songs on the iPod for the DJ to play. Poor kid, he couldn't have even been 20... probably didn't know half the songs.

Going back further, in my late teens I really became a huge Beatles fan. It all started when I saw Paul McCartney in concert for the first time, in 1990. In Orchestra we were able to earn money for tours by working concessions at Sun Devil stadium for games and other events. My sophomore year we handed out water when The Pope was in town. Bret still kicks himself over not working THIS particular concert.

Anyway, McCartney was in town, and I signed up to work. We were there early enough we got to listen to sound checks, and he waved up at us as we cheered. That night, it turned out that concessions stopped being sold soon after the concert began, and although we didn't have seats we could still hang out and watch the concert. That's when my obsession love for Paul and the Beatles began.

What, doesn't everyone put the birthday of their favorite musician on their calendar?

So, my little group of airport- crashing friends are also Beatles fans, and there were many nights of driving around singing and living it up like 1965.  Hey Jude is my favorite Beatles tune, and we never missed a chance to "Jude" at the top of our lungs every time we heard it, and every time was in a car.

Last night at the party, was the first time we "Juded" on roller skates. Katie, Rob, Bret, and me- the 4 original dorks!


No comments: