Saturday, April 14, 2012

40 To 40 Day 26: On A Five-Year Plan

So, where do you see yourself in five years?

Is that question really necessary? I don't like the time frame. Five years is too far out. I like taking things moment by moment, and that time frame really depends on the moment.

Tomorrow I see myself cheering my husband on as he completes his first sprint triathlon.

Next week I see myself running 4.2 miles with my family. Then having a kick-ass party to celebrate my birthday.

In 7 months I get to see the final product of my first year leading a valley tech conference.

Within a year I see myself running my first marathon.

Just a sampling, but if anything else comes up, I'll just take it as it comes. It might make me seem like I do not have any motivations for my future. Really it comes down to just living in the moment and not losing the experience of now because I'm trying to achieve something too far down the line.

If I were going to have any long-term visions of my future, it wouldn't be for my life. It would be for my daughters'. And the only way I want to see them in 5 years is satisfied, healthy, and doing what they want to do as they begin their adult lives.

You can't ask for any more than that.

No comments: