Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Personal Year In Review

Of all places to find some retrospection, I find these questions in the Huffington Post feed. It's better than the same old New Year's resolutions!

* What was the best thing that happened to me this year? Traveling to England over the summer. Actually, the entire summer trip was the best!

* What did I do this year that I'm really proud of? There are two. I started leading a Girl Scout troop. Sure, I was pushed semi-willingly. Sure, I had plenty of help. But I still did it and I'm proud of my creation. The other was being nominated for a Podcast Award. I didn't win this particular one, but the nomination process is pretty strict, and to me meant more than winning.

* Who did I really help? Honestly, there was no one specific. I help my children all the time, but that's a given. I suppose I help other moms with the carpool. We're helping plenty of people by doing service projects in Girl Scouts.

* Who do I need to thank and acknowledge for having been there for me? You know who you are, because I've all ready thanked you endlessly.

* What are the top three lessons I learned? Never trust a Sicilian when death is on the line! Oh all right, I'll be serious.
1. We as humans choose to have short memories.
2. A lot of people want change, yet when asked to make a stand will choose the safer path.
3. The only person you have control over is you.

* What increased my happiness and joy this year? You know, nothing really increased it. I'm still just moving through life same as I always do. I was more social than I was in 2007, and that always makes me happy. Hey! Maybe that's it!

* What's something I got through that was really tough? Officiating my foster father's memorial in July (is "officiating" the right term? I don't know, it sounds too much like I'm a ref for a ball game). Also, flying over the Atlantic. Both were extremely difficult in different ways.

* What did I avoid that I must pay more attention to in 2009? Getting an audio/radio resume' together and seeing if I can start getting a little in return for doing what I love to do! I'm not sure why I have been avoiding it, but I know it is avoiding because I've been talking about doing this for nearly two years now.

* What character trait did I develop most this year? taking initiative and becoming more of a leader.

* What new people did I meet that are now in my life? It's weird. With podcasting and being so active online, there are a lot of people who are in my life before I meet them. Then there are several people who I started getting to know better this year, though I've met them over a year ago. However one person who stands out I did meet this year, and that is my Girl Scout co-leader. I met her briefly back in May, when we found out someone needed to take over a Brownie troop. Then after summer vacation I needed to crack down and find someone to help me out. She and I met, and it was an instant friendship. So much in common, socially as well as politically! Things happen for a reason, and she and I were meant to meet and become friends.


So that's it. I won't pick anyone to carry this meme on. But if you decide you want to answer the questions, trackback to this post so I can see!

No comments: