Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Escaping the heat and blowing off steam



Ah, the 'ol rec center. Where I am spending a couple hours just about every day this summer. At least so far. I'm only about two weeks into summer vacation, but we pretty much have a routine.

We get there, I drop off Sam in the kids corner, then Ally and I check in. She runs the track or plays video games until the climbing wall opens. I go upstairs and play hampster for awhile (this means either the treadmill or the elliptical).

But the main event is when the rock wall opens. Ally is hooked.



It's been fun watching her take it on. Seeing her think through the puzzle of where to put her foot next, where she can reach. All ready in two weeks she's made such an improvement on how high she can go.

Her sister sits and watches, and complains that she can't do it yet. I tell her to be patient- in just two weeks she will be able to try it herself. She always wants to take on everything her sister does, then gets frustrated because she just isn't physically capable of doing it just like her big sister. Oh it's so rough being the younger one!

As for me, spending 5 or 6 days a week there has helped me in all sorts of ways. More energy, less pudge. What more could a mom with her kids home all day during swimsuit season want? :-)

No comments: