Saturday, March 24, 2012

40 To 40 Day 5: On Missing My Foster Dad

Every year on our wedding anniversary, we have always watched our video. For the past 5 years, it's become more and more bittersweet to watch. Of course it was a happy day, but so much has changed  it's become more of a memorial to those we've lost over the years. I understand it's natural, that's what happens over time. However, when you have friends you've lost touch with, a father who has passed away too soon, and a couple family members who won't even talk to you... well, it brings up an interesting mix of emotions. We haven't watched the video yet this year, and I honestly haven't pushed to watch it. I hope Bret isn't offended by this. It's just, difficult.

Tonight we went to a wedding reception for a couple of friends of mine, Tyler and Katie. Two amazing people that I am so glad I know. I was doing JUST FINE until Katie's dad made a little speech, and they both started crying. Not a dry eye in the place, honestly. Then as they danced together, I saw him singing the words of the song to her. Naturally being fresh off of our anniversary, Dad was all ready on my mind. But watching Katie and her father dance the ache was there.

Bah- I miss him. That's really all there is to it.

Maybe that's a reason to watch the video after all.

No comments: