Wednesday, March 21, 2012

40 To 40 Day 2: On My Earliest Memories

I don't have many memories before moving to Arizona. I was born in Staten Island, NY. Lived in Brooklyn for awhile (I think). Then when my mom remarried we lived in Pennsylvania, but I don't think it was very long. I don't remember anything about living in NY other than from what was told to me and via photos. I remember my Dad coming for visits, and chewing gum that had the liquid inside, and how everyone would laugh at the face I made when I bit into it.

I remember the morning we began the trek from PA to AZ. I was around 4. The boy who lived next door was Danny. I guess we got along ok, because I remember being very upset saying goodbye to him, and watching out the back window as we drove away.

I remember camping on those nights during the trip, and sitting in front of the campfire, worried that an ember was going to set me on fire. Once we were settled in AZ, I remember having to wait in the car with my baby sister while my stepfather picked up Mom from the hospital after my brother was born. She cried and cried. That was April of 1977, so I was just about to turn 5.

Those are my earliest memories. What are yours?

1 comment:

Debbie said...

Spending a lot of time playing alone in the basement (apparently my mother would lock me in) and reading the wallpaper in the dining room because I couldn't get up until I finished my food. I thought I had a happy childhood until I really tried to remember stuff. Not so much.