Monday, September 20, 2010

Ever Try To Outrun A Head Cold?

Week one I am happy to report was a big success! I killed all kinds of personal bests. Here's my Daily Mile Weekly Report:

Your Training for 09/13/2010 - 09/19/2010

View Training Log Workout
Miles: 21.07 Comments: 0
Time: 06:41 Motivations: 1
Calories: 3153 Among Friends: 3
Workouts: 7 Overall Position: 6484

Seriously, I ran 21 miles last week? Praise Jesus, Buddha, Allah, and Ra*! Let me tell you, it was not just a effortless jog in the park. Well, maybe one of the runs was, but I still passed distances I have never ran before, so that's a big win in my book!

Tuesday was my first big sprint day- 12 of them. I was actually nervous, and itching to get moving. I had butterflies in my stomach like I did before Pat's Run. Isn't that strange? I was that excited to get started! Kimber (my training bud) thought (as usual) that I was crazy. That was my first surprise this week- I was able to hold my sprints for a 1/4 mile without having to slow down, and even sped up the treadmill for several of them because I didn't feel like I was pushing hard enough. However, by the 8th or 9th sprint I noticed something weird- I had stopped sweating and was feeling more chilly. I most likely would have not thought anything of it if just a few days before I hadn't read this awesome post from the Almost Barefoot** blog. So when I upped my water intake a bit on those last few sprints I felt a lot better and could push through them. It ended up being around 5 miles.

Thursday was a more even tempo, and I ran 6 miles that day, which again I had never done before. The catch here was I could feel the beginnings of a head cold coming on, and I did my best to ignore it. The lozenges actually helped keep my throat from getting dry, which might be a good idea sick or not when I'm running longer distances. I also did stop several times to stretch my lower back out. Overall, good run and I still felt really good afterward.

Until Friday. Head cold was starting to get worse, I had been coughing quite a bit overnight so there was a lack of good sleep, and the medicine I took to rest made me jittery rather than sleepy. So other than my chiropractor appointment, I took it easy. By that night I was feeling worlds better, which is good because....

Saturday was the long easy run. 8 miles! I calculated my half-marathon pace based on the only other race I had been in, Pat's Run. I ran that in an 11:45 average. So half-marathon pace is a bit slower than that, around 12 min. miles. This 8 mile run was another 20 seconds ON TOP OF THAT, so I was really just taking it easy. Had a bumpy start though, the stomach was not cooperating at first. But after I got those issues out of the way, it went really smoothly.

Until about mile 6. That's when my knees decided to let me know they were there, and they were getting tired of all the movement. Stupid knees. It never got to the point where I couldn't finish, but I definitely had ice on them later, and all day Sunday. I did realize that my knee pain meant that I was starting to slouch a bit. When I straightened my back and held my head up higher it took some of the pressure off. It's all about the posture!

It was an accomplished week, and although I am still working through this head cold, it's not going to stop me from week two of training, which consists of:

First Run: Warm up, then 7 sprints at 400m, 600, 800, 1200, then back down to 400.
Second Run: 5 mile run at Medium Tempo
Third Run: 9 miles at Half-marathon pace +2o seconds

I think eventually my base pace of 11:45 will change. I'm taking into account that I only have one race under my belt and 5 months of training before that. I've definitely become stronger and faster since then. Should be another good week!

*Please forgive me if I missed your own personal deity.
**Even if you are not a barefoot runner, this is a great blog to subscribe to!

No comments: