Monday, November 01, 2010

Remembering I Love To Run

What a difference a week makes, when you put your head in the right place and have a whole new attitude! It was a great week of running, and at the end of it I made another distance goal.
The stats:

Miles: 24.27 Comments: 1
Time: 07:37 Motivations: 4
Calories: 4057 Among Friends: 2
Workouts: 8

The miles are higher than normal because Saturday I was feeling restless, so I grabbed the family and we went on a bike ride. But I digress. Let's go back to Tuesday.

Changing the name of "sprints" to "repeats" was probably the best move I could have ever made in my training. It made all the difference. I may not have run as fast, but I ran more of each repeat. Therefore I think I had a better Key Run because of it.

My second run of the week started out all right, but my knees were bothering me a bit more than usual. Time was also becoming an issue. The longer the distance, the more time (naturally), and I'm all ready a slow runner so I stopped at 5 miles instead of going the 7 I had planned. Lots of ice later on that day.

The long run of the week was my best run this week. 8 miles was the goal. I completely expected to do a lot of walking. I don't mind it on the long runs however, because knowing what the distance feels like is important to me. But- I ran WAY more than I thought I would, and my time was only a bit slower than my 7 mile run the week before! How's that for progress? My leg and hip felt really good, which I know helped. It also helped that I hydrated a bit more prior to running than I usually do. It was a really great run- and you know what the best part was? I enjoyed myself. I love to run, and this week reminded me that this is not work- it is fun. My knees were still hurting though, as well as the back of my knee. I've been making sure to ice and stretch and rest my legs a lot today.

So, the plan this week- 11 weeks left!

Key Run #1: 6- 800m repeats with 1:30 rest intervals
Key Run #2: 5 miles at medium tempo
Key Run #3: 6 miles half-marathon pace + 30 sec./mile

It's a tapering off week, one I feel I have earned! Go me! ;-)

No comments: