Sunday, July 19, 2015

Big damn road trip part 3

In foster years, I'm 26 years old.

If this is new to you, you can get a bit of a catch up here.

The final leg of our trip was the reason the trip was created, my cousin (foster) was getting married in Boise, ID. Once we left Yellowstone, we took the 6 hour drive through southern Idaho. I have to say there isn't much to southern Idaho. We did hit a huge rain storm, which was probably the most exciting part of the trip. It was nice seeing part of a state for the very first time, which is why I love road trips. You can't take in your surroundings from a plane.

Driving into Boise felt vaguely familiar, even though  I have never visited before. After a few moments I figured it out, it felt like home. No, not nostalgic "home." Gilbert, Arizona home, with some Tempe sprinkled in (Boise is a college town). Only greener and slightly cooler. Bret described it as "a combination of southwest and midwest. That's accurate.

It was nice to be in a place for a couple of days without an agenda, or having to do dishes or laundry (the downside of renting a home, no room service or free breakfasts in the lobby). We had dinner that evening, and the next morning my brother (foster) and I hit the hotel gym. My girls noticed there was a Dutch Bros. and a Chipotle in town, so I guess that gave them an agenda for the day. I hung out in the hotel room, watched an awful and hateful speech by Donald Trump and relaxed until it was time to head to the wedding.
Boise Botanical Garden is gorgeous. I love being in climates where beautiful lush, green things can actually grow! A perfect setting for a wedding, and the thunderstorm held off until after the ceremony. I'm not kidding. Immediately after the ceremony the storm hit, and stuck around for a good 45 minutes. Once the storm moved on, it was nice and cool, and the rest of the reception could commence. Amazing food, a bluegrass band, walks around the gardens. Just lovely. Anna and Wayland are a perfect fit, even though I met her at the wedding it was obvious.

I'm always so thankful for these moments in my life. It's always a little weird too. It shouldn't be, after 26 years of being part of this extended family. Sometimes I have quick flashes of "I don't belong." It's silly and the thought goes as quickly as it comes. I'm always grateful that not just my immediate foster family, but the extended family took me in and accepted me too, and that my children see them as their family. I write "foster" to eliminate confusion with the many beautiful branches of my family tree, but there really is no need to say it.

They are family.


*Big damn road trip Part 1
*Big damn road trip Part 2


No comments: