Wednesday, July 08, 2015

Big damn road trip part 1

I haven't worn make-up since July 2nd, because it was my last day at work.

I haven't put a flat iron to my hair in just about the same amount of time. It's been under a hat.

I read a book, and have begun a second one. Neither are about marketing, self-improvement, or politics.

I'm blogging!

These are the things that make a vacation for me. Some might say, "lounging in a hammock having young, beautiful people bring me fruity drinks with umbrellas in them" is their definition of vacation. This would be my definition too, but not this time.

We began our road trip on July 3. The entire reason for this vacation is due to a cousin getting married in Boise, ID. Our first official stop was the north rim of the Grand Canyon, because we've never seen it from that side. Our first unofficial stop was the Navajo Bridge. We just happened to be driving by, and pulled over and had lunch. A nice surprise. The north rim was also a nice surprise. Completely different than the south rim. Cooler. Greener. Less populated. I don't think I ever want to see the south rim again, I'm spoiled.

We spent the night in a town right on the AZ/UT border (I can't remember the name right now). The next morning we were up and out the door and onward to Zion National Park. Our time was limited, which was regrettable since Zion is amazing. We only drove until they stopped allowing cars, we just didn't have time to take the shuttle around the park. We will certainly return.

Our next stop was Bryce Canyon, and we did have time to stop there, have some lunch, and then
explore Sunset Point. There was a mile-long loop down into the canyon. I braved it. A mile hike might not seem like much, but when you have a bad back and are at 8000' elevation, it was quite the jaunt. It was worth the huffing and puffing- so majestic! After the hike we needed to keep going to our destination for the evening, Nephi. It's a one-light town south of Provo, and where Allison and Bret would be skydiving the next morning.

Yes, skydiving. Ever since Allison saw her father skydive 5 years ago, she had wanted to do the same. Unfortunately you have to wait until you are 18. We gave her a jump for her 18th birthday. We woke up to rain, but after a couple hours wait they were able to take off. Was absolutely worth it. She was nervous, but so excited that trumped any fears. Her tandem was great, and lots of fun. I'm so happy she has this adventure bug. I never had it, so I always want to foster it in her. I hope she never loses the desire to explore and try amazing things!

After the jump, we continued our trek north to our destination for the next four days, Yellowstone, meeting up with family and a lovely rented cabin about 10 minutes from the park. More on that in the next post.

My definition of vacation this time around is undiscovered country (to me). Everywhere we have ventured so far has been new to me. I've now been in 4 more states (Utah, Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming). It's been busy, but I haven't worn make up and have been reading books for pleasure. I'll take it.

What is vacation to you?

No comments: